Monday 7 February 2011

Penguin Design Award 2011: book cover for 'James and the Giant Peach'

I am currently working on a design for the Puffin Design Award 2011.

 The brief is to design a book cover for Roald Dahl's 'James and the Giant Peach'.
I had several ideas for this brief regarding techniques. I wanted something 2D but layered or suspended (I love hanging things!!) to create shadows and a feel of depth. I want to keep it naive as it's a children's story but at the same sophisticated.

I tried to create a little scene like a stage, I set it up in the photography studio with adequate lighting and then took some shots. It's been a productive day today!




















I am happy with these shots! My design is still in progress and the next step is to play about on photoshop, I think I will add more of the New York skyline. I also have ideas for the text on the spine and the back. These photos are very clean which is my style however, I will experiment with adding some collage to add extra detail.
I will upload my final book cover very soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment