Monday 12 September 2011

Hattie Newman





I came across the work of Hattie Newman today whilst doing some research for my current project; which is to produce my own publication.

I want to produce a little book illustrating lovely outings I share with my little boy. We often take trips to Formby beach where there is sand dunes leading down to a lovely flat, sandy beach. We often go climbing the dunes, and I chase him around! He's always collecting bits and bobs like sticks, leaves, feathers and anything that will fit into his pocket!! He likes feeding the red squirrels there in the forest too, and it's lovely inside, so peaceful and magical, we love it! 

I want to recreate the delightful places we often visit together and make a special little book! I want it to be playful and magical. I am considering materials, I want it to be organic in style and pretty to look at. I still want to continue with my current style but push that a little and progress to the next step, I may do this by introducing a 3D aspect as I usually only work in 2D.


Hattie Newman's work which I discovered today is relevant to my research and very inspiring.











Above is my favourite piece of work. I love the cardboard material used and it has a sense of magic about the piece. It looks festive!






I just love the little houses! There is a real sense of magic captured, quite naive pieces but very sophisticated. Makes me feel like a child at christmas again! I want to capture this feeling in my publication and display the naivety and innocence that my son has, I want to create from his perspective.








I'm really inspired by this artist, I hope you have enjoyed my find!







No comments:

Post a Comment